Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hopping around

on unstable ground feels so good. An unpredictable life.
If It were up to me, and obviously it is, I would stay freelance 'forever'.
That's the plan for now and the near future, but It'll change when I decide to change my mind. And knowing that my attention span is shorter than a 5cm toy ruler, it will happen sooner or later.

Not going about seeking jobs now though, if they come, I will accept, but if not - I'll concentrate on my personal wellbeing and improvement first. Like I said, I need to get better. All around, but especially so for my art, and body - that eventually leads to an improved self-esteem. In a few months, I will officially start searching, and we'll see how it goes then. I'll see how long my luck can last. Hahaha. No kidding, I'm curious to see what shit may pop up to change my current situation.

Just for the record, I'll talk about my 2 week stint at a local production company.
It was nice, felt somewhat like my internship. If I had stayed longer, I probably would've warmed up to my colleagues. But of course, my main goal was to do my job well, so anything related to the socializing department, I did not concern myself with too much. The thing I did learn from the bit of socializing was that...sharing food is a good conversation starter. LOL.
All in all, the boss was understanding, willing to guide, and easy-going, the environment was comfortable, the workload was bearable - even if there was OT, I'd gladly do it out of my own accord, as there was no peer pressure involved. Also, prompt payment. 4 days after I sent in my invoice, I received my cheque by mail. Bless them deep deep. I admire companies/studios that are small, but mighty. Quality over quantity. Because, what's the use of having a truckload of people that can't perform in a huge ass company, wasting your budget on them - when the hardworking ones could be paid and appreciated more?
(Oh, note the comparisons? HAHAHA. Sorry, I'm still a tad sour about the previous job. Experience it is, but no one said I couldn't bitch about it :D)

The only thing I am dissatified about is my slow coloring speed and lack of painting experience. Given the rushed schedule and limited time due to last minute client changes, I personally am not pleased with the outcome. I feel that I could've done more to make the final product more aesthetically pleasing. At the back of my mind I fear that perhaps it was not enough for the company too. (Though I hope not, because I really wish everything goes well for them, and that my work doesn't hinder their progress! ) Unfortunately, in order to proceed with the production, a completed task was more important than a perfect one. Hence, on my part, there had to be compromise - I had to rush. I know that if I had just a day or 2 more, it would be close to perfection. Alas, that is working life. Completion over pride. But of course, rushed completion does not mean sloppy work, my definition for it is that it 'lacks finesse' & 'leaves something to be desired'. I was also reminded that prioritizing and planning my time for each task was crucial.

That is all. :)

No comments: